In the early 1900’s, Ogden was flourishing, and in the midst of an economic boom that had transformed the City into an important urban center. With its rapidly expanding railroad industry, the introduction of major manufacturing plants, governmental facilities, and an influx of new citizens, Ogden soon found itself experiencing a housing shortage.
To quickly address the shortage, apartment building’s were constructed all over Ogden, and they were promoted as the new, modern, and ‘urban’ way of living in the early part of the 20th century. One such building was the Peery Apartments.
In 1909, D.H. Peery, one of Ogden’s most prominent and successful business men, contracted Leslie S. Hodgson and the prestigious architectural firm of Smith and Hodgson to construct the Peery Apartments as an investment property.
In 1910, when it opened for occupancy, the beautiful Peery Apartments were looked upon as a trend-setting structure, with its sleek new Prairie School style of architecture, and prime location high atop a knoll, overlooking Ogden’s commercial district, the building was hard to miss, or ignore.
The Peery Apartments quickly became one of the more sought after
apartment buildings in Ogden, appealing to many of the city’s single business men. The building also appealed to a number of Ogden’s female citizens and soon became home to a sampling of the City’s more notable business women also.
Leslie Simmons Hodgson
The Peery Apartments
D. H. Peery and his wife Elizabeth, lived
in a beautiful, Gothic style mansion at the
corner of Adams and 24th Street.
The stately home with its turrets towering more than three stories above street level, measured over 20,000 square feet in size. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Peery moved into apartment No. 1 at the Peery Apartments, where
she lived out the rest of her days. Some say Mrs. Peery still presides
over the building, and accounts of mysterious or unexplained
happenings at the Peery Apartments are not unusual.
In the years since Mrs. Peery’s death, the building saw a number of owners, and it gradually fell into a state of disrepair, until a major rehabilitation of the building in 1987, in which HUD partnered with the owner of the Peery Apartments under a housing assistance contract, which is still in effect today.
In 1988, the Peery Apartments was entered into the National Register of
Historic Places, and is also known as site 9 in Ogden, Utah.
The Architect - Leslie S. Hodgson:
Architect, Leslie Simmons Hodgson was largely responsible for the design and construction of
nearly every architecturally significant, historic landmark building left standing in Ogden today.
including: Ogden High School, Union Station, Peery’s Egyptian
Theater, The Eccles Skyscraper, The Ben Lomond Hotel, Ogden’s
Municipal Building, and a host of other architecturally important
buildings and homes throughout the Ogden area.
Ogden High School
In 1911, The firm of Smith and
Hodgson ended their 6-year partnership.
Then in 1920, Leslie Hodgson joined forces with
noted architect Meryl A. McClenahan, and the two set out designing and constructing some of the most spectacular and architecturally important buildings in the State of Utah.
Meryl McClenahan died in 1940, putting an end to the pair’s 20-year partnership.
Peery's Egyptian Theater
Ben Lomond Hotel
On the evening of July 23, 1947, during a visit to his daughter’s home, Leslie Hodgson complained of feeling tired and fatigued. He decided to go home shortly after he arrived and spent the rest of the evening preparing for a weekend trip to Ogden Canyon with his family.
The next morning, Leslie Simmons Hodgson was found dead in his home, at the age of 68.
Leslie S. Hodgson 1879 - 1947:
Forest Service Building
The Larkin House
The Peery Apartments
Gone but not forgotten, Hodgson’s design influence and dramatic architectural style continues to live on in the beautiful and aesthetically pleasing designs and elements that are found in each and every one of the building’s he created throughout his career.
D. H. Peery